Online Bridge is a whole new world and the duties expected of a Captain are different. I have made a few suggestions below and welcome additions so that we can help Captains do a good job and meet the expectations of their team members .
- Communicate any relevant information to Team Members – when they are playing/who the opponents are/ convention cards if applicable/ results if applicable
- If your team is setting up the match, you have seating rights. Work with the team member setting up the match to agree seating, confirm any timing changes, etc.
- If the opponents are setting up the match check that your team are all online ready to accept the match invite and advise opposing team when ready. Have a way to contact your Team is there are any issues with this.
- Make a note of the scores at the end of each match – BBO can be unreliable. The winning Captain forwards the results to Tournament Organiser(Liz Sylvester(firstname.lastname@example.org)) copying opposing Captain for confirmation.
- Be aware of Conditions of Contest and ensure your Team follow them. Self alerting is particularly important. This site contains the Conditions of Contest and information on self alerting.
- As we have no director, report any issues to Tournament Organiser at the END of the match. The Tournament Director will arrange for a Director ruling if required.
- Liaise with Captain of opposing Team to:
- Confirm date/time of match
- Advise Line up if required – some teams have more than 4 members
- Agree who will set up the match – remember no barometer,no undo’s and kibitzers to be silent. In General, ‘Home’ Team sets up but this can be changed if the Team lacks experience
- BBO Userids of your team if they are setting up/Obtain their BBO Userid’s if your Team is setting up.
- As a courtesy, provide Convention Cards to the opposing Team if your partnerships do not have convention cards available on BBO
I suspect the biggest issue is trying to generate Team spirit without having the opportunity to score up or just see each other and have a chat. Ideas welcome of how best to do this.